The Weather Is Beautiful But I Really Dont Want To Go Outsid

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

Anyone else suffer from hay fever? I've been ok this year so far but this last week has been a nightmare :angry:

I usually cycle into work but I'm thinking I may have to start driving again because every day now when I turn up at work, my nose is running, eyes very puffy and sneezing. It has to be the most annoying allergy of all, basically being allergic to nice weather.

Anyone have any tips? I'm taking the tablets but I've always found they never have much effect on me.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I am a sufferer also. Mine seems to be trees and hedges that get me sneezing and streaming. My allergy started overnight. I ran through a field of crops with my sisters when I was about 10. They came out fine but I was not well, I barely made it out at all. Wheezing, swollen eyeballs, the lot. Ruined my holiday totally, took a few days for the bug eyed wheezing to subside. it was like being poisoned. I blame the crop spraying stuff. Been a sufferer ever since. Getting better every year, when I am near death at a ripe old age I will be shot of it for good.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Nellyboy wrote: when I am near death at a ripe old age I will be shot of it for good.

Not too long to go then ;)
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Suffered very badly for a few years, mine seems to have settled down this year since moving to a more urban/industrial area where nothing other than weeds grow lol. Still a nightmare if I go out on site somewhere nice, but in my car I carry tablets, nasal puffer and some eye drops.....
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I don't have hay fever, but my heart goes out to those with it. Puts things in perspective when you described it as being "allergic to nice weather."

Are the injections they offer any good?

Met a lady who was walking down our lane crying to herself. (more like sobbing) I asked if there was anything I could do to help and she said, "She had just come from the doctors and had been diagnosed with hay fever." In my ignorance I was puzzled as I hadn't thought hay fever was as life threatening as she was portraying it to be with her being so upset.

In my ignorance I asked her if it was a dangerous type of hay fever, but she said it wasn't. I was still puzzled, but trying to be consoling - then she told me why this was so bad for her. This lady is a self-employed landscape gardener. A job she loved had now become her nemesis.

With so many people suffering with this, there must be something they can do to at least alleviate the effects of hay fever. :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

You would have thought they might have come up with something half decent to treat it by now, around 20% of the country apparently suffers with it each year, there's definitely a lot of money to be made!

Another month and I think I should be about over it for this year as mine seems to disappear by early august.

I've been looking into the injections but not sure how suitable they will be, apparently the course is about 3 years starting off with one injection a week.

Meh, im going through far too many handkerchiefs at the moment, and no, not in the fun way lol
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I have had hay fever for years. I cycle to work everyday and always get into the office sneezing and the nose running like hell. Spoke to the chemist and she said to put a light coating of petroleum jelly in each nostril below going out and about as well as the normal tablets. Tried this today and it worked a treat. I'll keep doing it for the week and get but to you.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Lol "get butt to you". "Petroleum Jelly". Ras you are a dirty begger. :fish:
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

lube up the nose... :S im open minded....
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Yeah, It started with the GF seeing a "<a href="http://www.natural-alternative-products ... -p-42.html" target="_blank">Hayfever Balm"</a> in health shops then asking in the local chemist and them saying that they didn't stock it but Vasaline would do the same job. I laughted it off first. But it seems to have worked.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Local Honey.

Not sure it works, but certainly helps with the tickley sore throat side of things for me.

Funnily enough riding the motorbike keeps it at bay as well..
I've had to pull the car over before now for a fit of sneezing.
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tumble
Advanced Member

Post by Tumble »

Mine's usually really bad - I was hospitalised for it a few years back.. bizarrely though, this year hasn't been very bad at all - it usually starts around April for me and lasts through to October sometimes, but this year, it's only been mildly annoying the last week or so. I think it must be something to do with spending a lot more time outdoors during the winter last year, and the spring this year... dunno really, just hope it's the beginning of the end of it tbh.
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

Well i'm feeling a lot better now, seems like my hay fever season has past, was only a month in the end. Anyone still feeling the effects?
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Nothing here, I think mine is a couple of weeks now at most. Just don't run through any tall fields.

Roll on the winter, I love rain.